Cod liver oil is extracted from the liver of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). This is obtained by pressing the steamed liver of cod fish till it produces yellow oil. It is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that can cure serious health problems. This oil is normally taken as a dietary supplement. It contains high amount of vitamin A and D, and small amount of vitamin K. It is full of nutrients and regarded as one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA). These fatty acids prevent all sorts of ailments that range from heart diseases to eczema. You can also intake cod liver oil in the form of a capsule. Health Benefits of Cod Liver Oil Cod liver oil is a super food that contains incredible healing properties.
Some Major Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
- Alleviates Joint Stiffness and Arthritis Cod liver oil relieves the joint pain caused due to arthritis. It soothes the inflammation and reduces the chances of joint replacement. The enzymes associated with pain and cartilage damage can be reduced through cod liver oil. One should have a teaspoon of it daily.
- Heals Wounds The application of cod liver oil ointment on wounds speeds up the healing process.
- Promotes Cognitive Performance Cod liver oil is loaded with vitamin D that plays an important role in maintaining the proper brain functioning, in the old age.
- Prevents Cardiovascular Diseases Being a good source of fatty acid, cod liver oil prevents coronary atherosclerosis. Omega-3 lines up the arteries and heals the damage. Even if you have gone through a heart surgery, regularly consume a tsp of cod liver oil to improve the functioning of your heart. The vitamin D and A supports the elasticity of blood vessels and improves the functionality of muscles.
- Helps Fight Tuberculosis Cod liver oil is an affluent source of Vitamin D, which significantly combats all sorts of infections, including tuberculosis.
- Reduces Inflammation Omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil reduces the inflammation of the cells.
- Cancer Vitamin D also wards off various types of cancer such as prostate, lymphoma, lungs and skin cancers. Cod liver oil is an excellent supplement of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids that have synergistic anticancer effects.
- Controls Cholesterol Cod liver oil supplement can help those people who are suffering from high cholesterol. Simply consume one to two teaspoons daily, in order to reduce LDL level.
- Reduces the Risk of Fracture Cod liver oil supplements can benefit elderly people, by reducing the risk of fracture. Combination of calcium and vitamin D prevents the feebleness and fracture in older persons.
- Checks the Liver Issues Cod liver oil helps people with some specific liver issues. Liver damage occurs mainly due to alterations in cell appearance or the elevation of enzymes. Studies have revealed that the amount of elevated liver enzymes reduces considerably, in the presence of cod liver oil.
- Prevents Ulcer Cod liver oil cures the gastric ulcers and prevents the development of duodenal ulcers.
- Treats Rickets Rickets are mainly caused due to the deficiency of vitamin D. Since it is rich in vitamin D, cod liver oil can prevent rickets to a great extent.
- Relieves Muscle Pain People with low vitamin D mainly suffer from muscle and bone pain. They also experience immense leg pain and often find difficulty in climbing the stairs. Studies have shown that a single teaspoon of cod liver oil increases the levels of vitamin D in our body, and also increases the strength of muscles.
- Fights Type 1 Diabetes in Children According to a research, a woman can lower the risk of having a child with type 1 diabetes, if she takes one teaspoon of cod liver oil daily during her pregnancy. Note- Pregnant women are advised to consult their doctors before taking cod liver oil, on a daily basis.
- Maintains Brain and Mental Health Cod liver oil boosts your mental health and provides respite from depression and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). Our brain has high omega-3 concentration, and since this oil is well-off with omega-3 fatty acids, it benefits our brain.
- Burns Fat The omega-3 fatty acids present in cod liver oil regulate the hormonal system which, in turn, promotes the fat burning hormones. Try to get a fermented cod liver oil that will surely help you lose extra fat.
- Good Vision Cod liver oil contains abundant vitamin A and D, which enables one to maintain a healthy vision for long term. It is also effective in treating some other eye problems.
- Healthy Immune System Cod liver oil copes up with the deficiency of vitamin C, and normalizes the functions of immune system, which keeps several infectious diseases at bay. Regular consumption of cod liver oil fulfills the required amount of vitamin D in body, which ensures a healthy immune system. Beauty Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
- Removes Scar Since decades, cod liver oil has been used in maintaining a healthy skin. Folks apply this oil directly on their skin to heal the local burns, as it doesn’t let any burn marks or scars stay. It gives a glowing and radiant skin and also improves the darker complexion. Regular consumption of cod liver oil helps maintain a young look for a longer time period. It also minimizes the wrinkles.
- Moisturizes Dry Skin Dry skin is a very common problem for millions of people. It causes itchiness and redness. Cod liver oil moisturizes and softens the dry skin. If taken orally, cod liver oil can reduce the levels of leukotriene B4 – a substance that raises the problem of severe dry skin. Consequently, cod liver oil makes your dry skin appear shiny and healthy.
Other Benefits of Cod Liver Oil
- Prevents infection of your inner ear.
- Helps combat kidney disease (early symptoms).
- Treats Crohn’s disease.
- Reduces high blood pressure.
- Treats psoriasis.
- Soothes bronchial asthma.
- Reduces levels of triglycerides in your bloodstream.
- Prevents birth defects caused due to vitamin A & D deficiency.
- Reduces risk of lupus contraction.
- Alleviates headache and migraine.
- Cures digestive problems such as constipation.
Therefore, cod liver oil can assist you fight a number of ailments, without any side effects.