The Nikkah Nama is a social contract basically.
And the reason the girls have to sign it first is because at the end of it you get a pretty big blank space to write down any extra conditions you want and the guy HAS to follow it all legally. You know how they make you sign the whole “do you want the right to divorce or not?”, clause? Yea that is an addition they make. You can literally add in anything there, pocket money, divorce conditions, house work, your own job details/requirements or any other kind of commitment. At the time of the Nikkah of Hazrat Fatima and Hazrat Ali (R.A), the Holy Prophet (S.A.W.W) added the clause that Hazrat Ali (R.A.) could not remarry as long as Hazrat Fatima (R.A.) was still alive. Huh? Huh? HUH?!? See? How smart is that? And many times people don’t tell you this, but it is a right given to you by Allah Himself, and do not let anyone, i repeat, DO NOT LET ANYONE TAKE IT AWAY FROM YOU.
Other facts include:
- The money you make from your job, is YOUR money. Your husband cannot take it from you or ask you for it or whatever. It is YOURS. And YOU are not inclined to spend it on the house or anything other than yourself.
- The husband HAS to pay you a pocket money for personal expenses outside of what he gives you for the monthly budget and what not.
- When you breast feed your child, you have the right to ask your husband to pay for it, and he cannot deny that to you. It is your right.
- Consent to intimacy and the level of intimacy is also your right. Even in a marriage. And if he does not take your consent, it is marital rape and is recognized in the court of law.
- You are under no obligation to give any of your heritage to your husband and neither can he force you to give him any part in your will or your heritage.
- In Islam, the man is to pay for the wedding out of his own pocket. Not the girl, not the girl’s family and not the guy’s family either. The guy himself. To whatever extent he is capable of spending, that is his job.
- THERE IS NO CONCEPT OF JAHAIZ (Dowry) and you can sue/ file a report against any family who asks you or demands you or your family to give money or any other form of material possession as “marital gifts”.
And these are just some of the many rights we have for women in ISLAM.