Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, who was born in Bhopal on April 1, 1936, which corresponds to the Hijri era 1355, Thursday 15th Rajab. As the time has unfolded itself, the God Gifted qualities enshrined in the words “Qadeer” and “Ghafoor”, symbolized in the names of Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan and his father, Mr. Abdul Ghafoor Khan, have raised the Pakistani nation to new heights in high technology.
After receiving his early education in Bhopal, Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan obtained the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1960 from the University of Karachi.
This was the beginning of the unfolding of his intellectual power. Subsequently, he studied in Berlin, West Germany and achieved high competence through attending several courses in metallurgical engineering. He obtained the degree of Master of Science (Technology) in 1967 from Delft Technological University, Holland, Achieved Doctor of Engineering Degree in 1972 from the University of Leuven, Belgium.
The restless soul of Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan took him to several laboratories in Europe including Uranium Enrichment Plant in Holland.It was the essence of his being sharpened by high scholastic achievements in metallurgical and nuclear science that his will and essence at all times remained directed towards the welfare of Pakistan. In 1976, he joined the Engineering Research Laboratories (ERL) in Pakistan and set up an uranium enrichment industrial plant.
As a tribute to his services for the security of Pakistan on May 1, 1981, the then President of Pakistan, General Mohammed Zia-ul-Haq renamed the Engineering Research Laboratories, Kahuta, as, Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan Research Laboratories (KRL).
The Scientific Contributions of Dr. Khan Have Been Recognized in Several Ways
- As an active scientist and technologist, he has published more than 188 scientific research papers in international journals of high repute.
- He has been editor of a large number of books on metallurgy, advanced materials and phase transformation.
- His academic and scholastic activities have attracted the attention of number of western countries where he has delivered more than 100 lectures.
- His work on Industrial Uranium Enrichment Plant for peaceful application of nuclear technology has resulted in a breakthrough in the field of metallurgy & materials science.
- It is entirely due to his efforts that the process of enrichment of Uranium was successfully completed in Pakistan.
Nuclear Bombs & Missiles
This breakthrough ultimately resulted in the historic explosion of six nuclear bombs on May 28 and May 30, 1998. Not only this but a significant development was also made with the successful test firing of Intermediate Range Ballistic Missiles,
- Ghauri I, on April 6, 1998
- Ghauri II on April 14, 1999
Dr. Khan has received honorary degrees of
- Doctor of Science from the University of Karachi in 1993.
- Doctor of Science from Baqai Medical University on December 11, 1998.
- Doctor of Science from Hamdard University, Karachi, in March 6, 1999.
- Doctor of Science from Gomal University, Dera Ismail Khan, N.W.F.P. on April 16,1999.
- Doctor of Science from the University of Engineering & Technology, Lahore on December 9, 2000.
- Doctor of Science from the Sir Syed University of Engineering & Technology, Karachi on March 25, 2001.
Fellowships & Memberships
Dr. Khan is a Fellow of Kazakh National Academy of Sciences, the first Asian scientist with this honour, Elected Fellow of the Islamic Academy of Sciences and Honorary Member of the Korean Academy of Science & Technology. He has also been elected as the Chairman of the Islamic Development Bank’s Advisory Panel on Science and Technology in the Panel’s first ever meeting, held at the IDB’s headquarters in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on October 17, 2000.
Being a Fellow of Pakistan Academy of Sciences, he was elected unopposed the President of the Academy’s in 1997- the position that he still occupies. Besides, he is a member of a large number of national and international professional organizations, which include Pakistan Institute of Metallurgical Engineers; Pakistan Institute of Engineers; and Institute of Central and West Asian Studies.
He is a Member of the Institute of Materials, London and of
- American Society of Metal (ASM).
- The Metallurgical Society of the American Institute of Metallurgical Mining and Petroleum Engineers (TMS).
- Canadian Institute of Metals (CIM) and,
- Japan Institute of Metals (JIM).
As an Ardent Supporter of Higher Education
- He sits on the Boards of Governors and Syndicates of numerous universities and institutes.
- He is a Member of the Executive Committee GIK Institute of Engineering and Technology, TOPI.
- Member, Board of Governors, Hamdard University.
- Member, Board of Governors, Sir Syed University of Engineering and Technology.
- Member Syndicate, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad; and,
- Member, Board of Governors, International Islamic University, Islamabad, among others.